Help Table to Table bridge the gap between abundance and hunger.
Our volunteer opportunities involve collecting excess food from donors on food rescue routes, cleaning and prepping our fleet and facility, harvesting produce at local farms, helping with reception and office tasks, and more! Read more about each opportunity below.
If you’re interested in getting involved, please email email@example.com or call 319-337-3400. We’re currently looking for volunteers who can help us with routes at times between 8am-Noon Monday-Saturday or help with our Fleet & Facilities shifts on weekdays.
Our hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m. and Saturday mornings 9:00a.m. – Noon.
Volunteer with route-based food rescue, fleet & facilities, or office reception
Food Rescue Route Volunteer
- Interact with donor and recipient organizations
- Box and load food donations into Table to Table vans with route partner
- Transport food to recipient agencies such as community pantries, shelters, preschools, etc.
- Unload food
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-Noon. Shifts can last anywhere from one to three hours and are dependent on current need.
Fleet & Facilities Volunteer
- Prepare Table to Table vans for food rescue routes (stock with boxes, check gas levels, etc.)
- General cleaning and maintenance of vans
- Facility checklists (sanitizing work surfaces, checking refrigeration temperatures, etc.)
- Able to commit to a scheduled time each week
Monday-Friday between 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Shifts are typically two hours.
- Greet volunteers/visitors
- Answer office phone
- Assist with food donation pickups and drop-offs
- General office tasks
- Able to commit to scheduled time each week
Monday-Friday between 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Shifts are typically two hours.
- Enter and analyze data from food rescue routes
- Work with Google Sheets to create graphs, tables, and other ways to display food rescue data
- Able to commit to a scheduled time each week
Contact us if you are interested in this volunteer role and we can discuss schedule.
- Willing to volunteer a minimum of 10-30 total hours (depending on volunteer role). This could be over the course of several months! Most shifts are 2-3 hours.
- Food rescue route volunteers regularly lift 40 lbs. boxes of food.
- Volunteers rescue food on routes in pairs, a driver and a passenger. A valid drivers license is required for volunteer drivers to drive our vans.
- Must be 16+ to go on food rescue routes.
To apply to volunteer, you may begin the remote orientation process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The orientation involves a brief Table to Table introduction presentation, a casual phone interview, and application paperwork.
Volunteer with our local produce recovery initiatives
Table to Table offers volunteers a variety of ways to get involved with providing locally-grown produce to our neighbors during the produce harvest season (typically June-October; dependent on the growing season):
Help us collect fresh produce
Gleaning: Harvest excess produce from local farms and orchards. No experience necessary: we can train you! Learn more about gleaning here.
Produce Auction: Recover produce at a local produce auction on Tuesdays or Fridays.
Farmer’s Markets: Go to the local farmers markets to collect unsold produce at the end of each market day.
Help us distribute fresh produce
Free Produce Stands: Connect free produce directly to our neighbors at free produce stands on Tuesday and Friday afternoons/evenings.
If you’d like to learn more about becoming a Local Produce Recovery Program volunteer, email email@example.com or call us at 319-337-3400.
Table to Table encourages youth and family volunteering. Due to equipment usage and other requirements of food rescue volunteering, volunteers under the age of 18 will have restrictions appropriate to their position. All volunteers under 18 must have a signed parent waiver.
To apply to volunteer with children, you may schedule an interview and orientation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The orientation involves a casual interview, a brief Table to Table introduction presentation, and application paperwork. Our office is located at 840 S Capitol St., Iowa City.
Required Service Hours
Need to complete community service hours for a class? Have court-mandated community service hours to complete? Table to Table welcomes eligible volunteers to enter into an agreement with us to complete their required service hours. To be eligible, volunteers must submit an application, complete a background check, and be a proper fit for our current volunteer needs. The total number of hours available will depend on matching our schedule and needs with your availability.
To apply to be an individual volunteer, you may schedule an interview and orientation by emailing email@example.com. The orientation involves a casual interview, a brief Table to Table introduction presentation, and application paperwork. Our office is located at 840 S Capitol St., Iowa City.
Table to Table is closed on most major holidays. We do not currently offer one-time volunteer opportunities on holidays.