Help our neighbors when they need it most.
Our volunteer opportunities involve going on food rescue routes, prepping our food rescue vehicles, or helping with reception and office tasks. If you are feeling well and are interested in transporting food to your neighbors in need, please email email@example.com or call 319-337-3400. We’re currently looking for volunteers who can help us with routes at times between 8am-Noon Monday-Saturday or help with our Fleet & Facilities shifts on weekdays.
Our hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8:00a.m. – 4:00p.m. and Saturday mornings 9:00a.m. – Noon.
Route-Based Food Rescue Volunteering
To apply to volunteer, you may begin the remote orientation process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The orientation involves a brief Table to Table introduction presentation, a casual phone interview, and application paperwork.
Food Rescue Route Volunteer
- Interact with donor and recipient organizations
- Box and load food donations into Table to Table vans with route partner
- Transport food to recipient agencies such as community pantries, shelters, preschools, etc.
- Unload food
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Shifts can last anywhere from one to three hours and are dependent on current need.
Fleet & Facilities Volunteer
- Prepare Table to Table vans for food rescue routes (stock with boxes, check gas levels, etc.)
- General cleaning and maintenance of vans
- Facility checklists (sanitizing work surfaces, checking refrigeration temperatures, etc.)
- Able to commit to a scheduled time each week
Monday-Friday 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m
- Greet volunteers/visitors
- Answer office phone
- Assist with food donation pickups and drop-offs
- General office tasks
- Able to commit to scheduled time each week
Monday-Friday 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Enter and analyze data from food rescue routes
- Work with Google Sheets to create graphs, tables, and other ways to display food rescue data
- Able to commit to a scheduled time each week
Contact us if you are interested in this volunteer role and we can discuss schedule.
- Willing to volunteer a minimum of 30 total hours.
- Food rescue route volunteers regularly lift 40 lbs. boxes of food.
- Valid drivers license required for route volunteers.
- Must be 16+ to go on food rescue routes.
- Willing to wear a mask if a route partner or a volunteer/staff member at a recipient agency is wearing a mask.
To apply to be an individual volunteer, you may schedule an interview and orientation by emailing email@example.com. The orientation involves a casual interview, a brief Table to Table introduction presentation, and application paperwork. Our office is located at Pepperwood Plaza, 1049 US-6 E, Iowa City.
Fresh Produce Recovery Volunteering
All of our food rescue is done off-site by our volunteers, so our group volunteer opportunities include helping with van cleanings. We transport around 45,000 lbs of food in our vehicles each week, so it is very important we keep them clean.
We are able to host group van cleanings ideally on Saturday mornings from 10:00 a.m.-noon but can accommodate during the week on Wednesdays or Fridays between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. if needed. Van cleanings usually last around two hours.
To make sure we are able to accommodate your group, please let us know the size of the group and age ranges of the participants who are going to be involved. Ideal group size is between 4-8 people; maximum we can accommodate for is 10 people per van cleaning. If your group is larger, we can look into splitting into multiple van cleaning sessions on multiple days.
To inquire about group volunteer opportunities, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 319-337-3400. Our Volunteer Coordinator will be able to help you schedule a time and date for your volunteer event.
Table to Table encourages youth and family volunteering. Due to equipment usage and other requirements of food rescue volunteering, volunteers under the age of 18 will have restrictions appropriate to their position. All volunteers under 18 must have a signed parent waiver.
To apply to volunteer with children, you may schedule an interview and orientation by emailing email@example.com. The orientation involves a casual interview, a brief Table to Table introduction presentation, and application paperwork. Our office is located at 840 S Capitol St., Iowa City.
Required Service Hours
Need to complete community service hours for a class? Have court-mandated community service hours to complete? Table to Table welcomes eligible volunteers to enter into an agreement with us to complete their required service hours. To be eligible, volunteers must submit an application, complete a background check, and be a proper fit for our current volunteer needs. The total number of hours available will depend on matching our schedule and needs with your availability.
To apply to be an individual volunteer, you may schedule an interview and orientation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The orientation involves a casual interview, a brief Table to Table introduction presentation, and application paperwork. Our office is located at 840 S Capitol St., Iowa City.
Table to Table is closed on most major holidays. We do not currently offer one-time volunteer opportunities on holidays.